Tehran, Iran, Sep. 14 –
Some 172 individuals in the Iranian capital were being prosecuted for
disrupting national security, the man in charge of organising
a new crackdown on “trouble-makers” said in an interview with Iran’s
“According to the latest figures, since this initiative started to be carried
out until now, 227 trouble-makers from different areas of Tehran were
arrested and handed over to judicial officials in Tehran”, Ahmad Movahed, head of the Office to Carry Out the Plan to
Increase National Security said.
Movahed that that 172 of the individuals were
currently being prosecuted and would “be dealt with expeditiously”, adding
that the files of the other 55 individuals were also being prepared.
Movahed said that following the 20 crackdown in Tehran, the Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi may order a similar crackdown to all over Iran.
Separately, on Tuesday, during a meeting to introduce a new Revolutionary
Prosecutor in Tehran,
the city’s Chief Prosecutor Saeed Mortazavi said, “The main purpose of Revolutionary Courts
is to combat individuals who are enemies that are trying to create troubles
for the Islamic Republic”.
Mortazavi said that so far there had been great
success in the crackdown on individuals who were perceived as instigators.